When adding Google Tag Manager to your website, you will want to make sure it "fires" on all pages. To do this, you will need to add an HTML block to your footer with one portion of code, then place the second portion of the code in the Head JS panel found under your Developer Tools dashboard.
- To begin the implementation process of your tracking code, you will first need to retrieve it from Google. If not already logged in to Google, go ahead and login to Google Tag Manager via this link: https://tagmanager.google.com
- The link above should take you to a list of all your Google Tag Manager accounts. Access the account for the site you are working on by selecting its title.
- Select your blue Tracking ID link that starts with "GTM-". Selecting the ID opens a pop-up that lets you copy your embed code.
- This part requires detailed attention. In the pop-up, look at the code and in the first field box, highlight only the portion of code between <script> and </script>. The screenshot below shows the exact highlighted code that you need. Copy the highlighted code to your clipboard. (CTRL+C or CMD+C depending on PC/MAC computer to copy)
- In a new browser tab, open your liveBooks dashboard and navigate to the Developer Tools panel by clicking the [<>] icon at the top of the page (Don't see this icon? Here's why.), then select Head JS at the top of the Developer Tools dashboard.
- Paste the copied code into the very top portion of the Head JS panel and select the blue Save button to complete placing your code into the Head JS text area. (CTRL+V or CMD+V depending on PC/MAC computer to paste)
- Go back to your browser tab for Google Tag Manager. Highlight the entire code in the second field box and copy it to your clipboard. (CTRL+C or CMD+C depending on PC/MAC computer to copy)
- Back into your liveBooks dashboard, select Content from the top of the page.
- Select Footer in the sidebar under the Global Content section on the top-right corner.
- Select the green (+) button at the bottom of the page or between your current content blocks.
- Select the HTML option from the menu that appears.
- Now, paste the code you copied earlier into the large field box of your HTML block and select the blue Save button:
- Select the green Publish button in the top righthand corner of the Dashboard to make your changes live on the site to complete the Google Tag Manager installation.
Optional: If you would like to verify that your pixel installation was a success, download this Google Chrome Extension and run it to verify your pixel.